“Chrys-” means gold, golden or yellow. The root comes from the Greek word chrysos which means gold. The root is in 201 entries. There are many words related to flowers and valuable items.
- chryselephantine- Chryselephantine means made of cold and ivory. You can see the word “elephant” in chryselephantine with signifies ivory.
- chrysanthemum- A chrysanthemum is a flower also known as a corn marigold. It also comes from the Greek root “anth” meaning flower. Fun Fact: The chrysanthemum is used as the official seal of the Imperial Family of Japan.
- chrysemys- This is a breed of turtle also known as a painted turtle. It has yellowish markings.
- chrysograph- A chrysograph is when someone writes in gold. It also comes from the Greek root “-graph” meaning to write.
- chrysoprase- Chrysoprase is a apple-green variety of chalcedony which is a gemstone.